Harry Elkins Widener Memorial Library

The Cornerstone


The “silver tablet” buried in the cornerstone.
[MS HEW 3 HOLLIS 011751457]

Mrs. Widener traveled to Cambridge for the cornerstone ceremony on June 16, 1913, using a silver trowel to turn the first spade of earth. Included here is the “silver tablet” buried in the cornerstone. A key was also presented to Mrs. Widener at the official opening of the library on June 24, 1915. Other articles placed in the cornerstone were Boston and New York newspapers dated June 16th, photographs of Harry Elkins Widener and Mr. and Mrs. George D. Widener, newspapers of February, 12, 1913 featuring the groundbreaking ceremony, and the latest coins of the country ranging from one cent to twenty dollars.